What can we do to promote calmness after preschool?
- First, we should make sure their basic needs have been met (perhaps a snack on the way home to get their blood sugar up even before they get in the door).
- Let them relax.
- Give them space.
- Encourage them to lie down (either with or without us).
- Suggest quiet activities like puzzles, painting, colouring and play dough – nice ways for children to unwind.
- Set up ‘invitations to play’ (allowing children to direct their own play by offering open-ended, meaningful resources to explore).
- Be patient and calm ourselves.
- Encourage them to go outside and blow off steam in the fresh air (or the rain!).
It might even be worth considering an occasional day off from preschool to let them replenish their self-regulation reserves.
We may get the worst of our child’s behaviour, but we get the best of it too!
Lightbulb Learning Childcare is a brand new child day care in Mt Wellington offering quality care and affordable education for chicontinue reading